Phad Gaeng Keow Wan (Green Curry Fried Rice with Asparagus or Peas)
In the summer of 2004, my sister-in-law, Tim and I escaped 100° F heat in Thailand by going to the air-conditioned, trendy restaurant chain Black Canyon in Phuket. I always like to try new dishes created by Thai chefs who use traditional methods and ingredients. Green curry fried rice caught my eyes and it tasted so delicious that I invented this recipe with the same intense flavor we experienced.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste Add to list
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms Add to list
- 1 cup cut fresh asparagus or 1/2 cup frozen peas Add to list
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sugar, or more as needed Add to list
- 1 cup fresh Thai or regular basil leaves Add to list
- 3 cups steamed jasmine rice, cooled Add to list
- 1 tablespoon tamari Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste Add to list
- 4 lime wedges Add to list
Heat canola oil in a skillet or a wok on high heat. Stir garlic until golden then add green curry paste, shiitake mushrooms, asparagus or peas, coconut milk, sugar and basil. Then add jasmine rice. Stir in tamari and salt. Serve with lime wedges.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated on the PCC Cooks stage at Vegfest 2010.