Petite Black Lentil Paté
Serve on crackers or fresh bread with goat cheese, mustard or horseradish.
- 1/2 cup black lentils (may substitute green or brown) Add to list
- 1 and 1/2 cups vegetable stock or water Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed Add to list
- 1 bay leaf Add to list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 onion, small dice Add to list
- 1 large portabello mushroom, diced Add to list
- 1/2 cup walnuts Add to list
- 10 fresh string beans, cleaned of strings, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 2 teaspoons each, dried basil and oregano Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes Add to list
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste Add to list
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced Add to list
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice Add to list
Bring stock, garlic and bay leaf to a boil. Add lentils and reduce to a simmer. Cook covered for about 25 minutes or until softened. Discard bay leaf and set aside. While lentils cook, sauté onion in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until lightly browned and softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushroom and walnuts and cook until mushroom has softened and cooked down.
Add string beans, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Continue to cook until spices are very fragrant and string beans have softened slightly, about another 2 minutes or so. Add fresh rosemary and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Cook until liquid is absorbed.
In a food processor, blend onion-mushroom mixture until very well mixed. Scrape down sides to make sure all ingredients have been well incorporated. Add lentils and mix again until very smooth. Add 1 more tablespoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Mix well. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Let flavors marry at least an hour before serving.
Recipe by, former PCC staff