Peruvian-style Tempeh Tacos
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup high-heat oil Add to list
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled Add to list
- 2 serrano chile peppers, minced (can be omitted for children if too spicy or added after childrens’ portions have been cooked and removed from pan) Add to list
- 1 package tempeh, sliced into thin strips Add to list
- 1 yellow onion, minced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chili powder Add to list
- 2 tablespoons cumin seed, toasted and ground Add to list
- 1/2 cup pitted and chopped green olives Add to list
- 1 tablespoon tamari Add to list
- 1 lime, juiced Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro Add to list
- Salt and black pepper, to taste Add to list
- 12 corn tortillas, slightly heated Add to list
- Optional toppings: cilantro, avocado, shredded cabbage, tomato, lime juice, sour cream. Add to list
Preheat a large skillet to medium high. Add oil to hot pan and then add garlic cloves, serrano chiles and tempeh. Pan-fry, turning over with a spatula until tempeh starts to brown.
Add onion and cook until soft and tempeh breaks up. Add chili powder, cumin and chopped olives. Add tamari, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper.
Place a scoop of tempeh on each tortilla and add your favorite taco toppings.
Source: Recipe adapted by Blake Caldwell, PCC Deli.
2012 PCC annual meeting dinner