Peruvian-style Chicken Taco Filling
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided Add to list
- 2 pounds organic chicken thighs, thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 red onion, cut in half and thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed Add to list
- 1 tomato, diced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon tamari Add to list
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro Add to list
- Salt and black pepper, to taste Add to list
- 12 corn tortillas, slightly heated Add to list
- Optional toppings: cilantro, avocado, shredded cabbage, tomato, lime juice, sour cream Add to list
Preheat a large stainless or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Place 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a hot pan and add chicken and sauté to desired doneness (5 to 8 minutes).
Remove from pan and add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan and add red onion, garlic, tomato and sauté until onion is soft (3 to 4 minutes). Return meat to pan and add tamari, vinegar, agave, cumin and cook for 1 more minute. Add cilantro, salt and pepper.
Serve with warm tortillas and your favorite toppings.
Source: Recipe adapted by Blake Caldwell, PCC Deli
2012 PCC annual meeting dinner
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »