Persimmon Pecan Cookies
Yield: Makes about 3 dozen cookies
Choose fully ripe and bright orange Hachiya persimmons for use in this recipe.
- 1/2 cup butter Add to list
- 1/2 cup white sugar Add to list
- 1/2 cup brown sugar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest Add to list
- 1 egg Add to list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Add to list
- 1 cup mashed persimmon pulp (see note) Add to list
- 2 cups all purpose flour Add to list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg Add to list
- Pinch of salt Add to list
- 1 cup toasted chopped pecans Add to list
Preheat oven to 325° F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in orange zest, egg and vanilla extract. And the persimmon pulp and mix.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix gently. Fold in pecans.
Drop dough by the rounded tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
To make persimmon pulp, cut the top off a very ripe Hachiya persimmon (it should be very soft to the touch). Using a spoon, scoop out pulp, discarding any seeds. Each persimmon should yield 1/2 to 3/4 cup pulp.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »