Persian Eggplant and Yogurt Dip
Serves: 4 to 6
A cool, hearty dip just right for late summer evenings on the deck or to take along on a picnic.
- 2 large eggplants Add to list
- 1 large onion, sliced Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed Add to list
- 1/2 cup ground walnuts Add to list
- 1 teaspoon cumin Add to list
- 1 teaspoon coriander Add to list
- 1 teaspoon turmeric Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper Add to list
- 1/2 to 1 cup yogurt Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint Add to list
- 1 lime, juiced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped chives Add to list
- Flat bread such as lavash or pita Add to list
Bake the eggplants whole on a cookie sheet at 350º F for 1 hour. Carefully remove, and allow to come to room temperature. Once cool, peel the eggplant and place in a colander to drain.
In a skillet, sauté the sliced onion in the oil for 10 minutes over medium heat. Add garlic, walnuts and the spices and sauté for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add the yogurt, mint and lime juice and set aside.
In a food processor, roughly purée the eggplant with the onion mixture until most of the dip is puréed with some pieces of eggplants and onion still visible. Add salt, taste and add more as needed. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with chives. Serve with flatbread.
Beer pairing: This dip pairs well with Dupont Saison Farmhouse Ale (Belgium).
Each serving: 170 cal, 11g fat (1.5g sat), 0mg chol, 410mg sodium,16g carb, 7g fiber, 5g protein
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor
Source: PCC Sound Consumer, September 2012