PCC Penne Salsa Romano
Prep time: 40 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided Add to list
- 3/4 yellow onion, diced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic Add to list
- 1 tablespoon dried basil Add to list
- 2 teaspoons black pepper Add to list
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes Add to list
- 24 ounces diced tomatoes, drained Add to list
- 3/4 pound penne pasta Add to list
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano Add to list
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese Add to list
Warm 1 tablespoon olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, basil, pepper and red pepper flakes; cook until onion is tender, about 8 minutes.
Add tomatoes to onion mixture and simmer for 30 minutes.
While the sauce simmers, cook penne in ample, salted water according to instructions on package. Drain thoroughly.
Mix together vinegar, oregano and remaining oil. Add to tomato-onion mixture. Toss penne and Romano cheese with tomato mixture.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!