Penne with Roasted Eggplant and Pepper Sauce
This simple pasta dish is rich and delicious. Enjoy with a crispy salad.
- 1 pound eggplant Add to list
- 1/4 cup pine nuts Add to list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 onion, diced Add to list
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 2 to 3 roasted red peppers Add to list
- 3 to 4 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese Add to list
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, coarsely chopped Add to list
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste Add to list
- Splash fresh lemon juice Add to list
- 1/2 pound penne pasta, cooked al denté, tossed with extra virgin olive oil Add to list
Preheat oven to 400°F. Pierce eggplant several times with the tip of a sharp knife. Place in uncovered baking dish, and roast for about one hour, or until eggplant is fragrant and collapses easily with a squeeze. Slice in half, let cool. Scoop out meat and coarsely chop.
While eggplant is roasting, toast pine nuts in a dry frying pan over medium heat, tossing constantly until they are lightly browned. Set aside.
In same pan, sauté onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat until lightly browned.
Add onion, garlic, peppers, cooked eggplant and 2 tablespoons olive oil to food processor. Pulse several times until you achieve a nice chunky consistency. It's up to you how much you want to blend.
Return puréed mixture to pan over very low heat. Stir in feta, oregano and season generously with salt and pepper. Splash with lemon juice. Serve warm over pasta.
Recipe by, former PCC staff