PCC Pecan Pie
Serves: 10 to 12
Yield: 1 (9-inch) pie
This recipe substitutes honey and maple syrup for corn syrup, which typically is non-organic and includes genetically engineered corn. These ingredients are wholesome and natural, but this is not a low-fat or low-calorie pie. Cutting the pie into 10 to 12 slices provides just enough, without being too much of this rich dessert.
- 3 eggs (or 1 egg yolk and 3 egg whites, or equivalent Ener-G powdered egg replacer) Add to list
- 1/2 cup honey Add to list
- 1/3 cup maple syrup Add to list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons unrefined sesame oil (see note) Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans Add to list
- One unbaked 9-inch pie shell, chilled Add to list
Preheat oven to 400° F.
In a mixing bowl, beat eggs with a whisk until yolks and whites are completely blended. Add sweeteners, vanilla. salt and oil. Fold in chopped pecans.
Pour into pie crust and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° F and continue baking for an additional 25 minutes, until set but not dry.
Best served warm, but may be cooled to room temperature. Top with nonfat frozen vanilla yogurt or ice cream!
If you prefer, substitute melted and cooled butter for sesame oil.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »