Pear and Apple Kasha Crumble
Some of the best fall pears and apples sold at PCC are grown nearby in Tonasket, Washington at George and Apple Otte’s River Valley Organics.
- 1 pound apples, peeled and sliced Add to list
- 1 pound pears, peeled and sliced Add to list
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice Add to list
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped candied ginger (optional) Add to list
- 1/2 cup toasted buckwheat kasha (available in PCC’s bulk section) Add to list
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds Add to list
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend Add to list
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats Add to list
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar Add to list
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg Add to list
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into cubes Add to list
- 1/4 cup honey, warmed Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Toss apples and pears with lemon juice, zest and ginger. Spread evenly in the bottom of an ungreased 9- by 13-inch baking dish.
Coarsely chop kasha and almonds in the bowl of a food processor. Add flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Process until just combined. Add butter pieces and pulse until crumbly (there should be some pea-sized pieces remaining). Fold in honey.
Spread topping over fruit and bake until golden brown and the fruit is tender, 40 to 50 minutes.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »