Pear and Apple Kasha Crumble
Some of the best fall pears and apples sold at PCC are grown nearby in Tonasket, Washington at George and Apple Otte’s River Valley Organics.
- 1 pound apples, peeled and sliced Add to list
- 1 pound pears, peeled and sliced Add to list
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice Add to list
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped candied ginger (optional) Add to list
- 1/2 cup toasted buckwheat kasha (available in PCC’s bulk section) Add to list
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds Add to list
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend Add to list
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats Add to list
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar Add to list
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg Add to list
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into cubes Add to list
- 1/4 cup honey, warmed Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Toss apples and pears with lemon juice, zest and ginger. Spread evenly in the bottom of an ungreased 9- by 13-inch baking dish.
Coarsely chop kasha and almonds in the bowl of a food processor. Add flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Process until just combined. Add butter pieces and pulse until crumbly (there should be some pea-sized pieces remaining). Fold in honey.
Spread topping over fruit and bake until golden brown and the fruit is tender, 40 to 50 minutes.