PCC Tomato Cabbage Soup
Yield: Makes about 1/2 gallon
- 1 tablespoon high-heat oil Add to list
- 1/2 onion, chopped Add to list
- 3 stalks celery, chopped Add to list
- 1 small leek, rinsed well, white and light green parts thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped Add to list
- 1 cup diced carrots Add to list
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped Add to list
- 1/4 head green cabbage, chopped Add to list
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill weed Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper Add to list
- 1 cup tomato sauce Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, celery, leeks, bell pepper, carrots and fennel; cook until soft, 10 to 12 minutes.
Stir in the cabbage, tomatoes, salt, thyme, marjoram, dill, cayenne pepper and tomato sauce. Add enough water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »