PCC Tomato Cabbage Soup
Yield: Makes about 1/2 gallon
- 1 tablespoon high-heat oil Add to list
- 1/2 onion, chopped Add to list
- 3 stalks celery, chopped Add to list
- 1 small leek, rinsed well, white and light green parts thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped Add to list
- 1 cup diced carrots Add to list
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped Add to list
- 1/4 head green cabbage, chopped Add to list
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill weed Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper Add to list
- 1 cup tomato sauce Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, celery, leeks, bell pepper, carrots and fennel; cook until soft, 10 to 12 minutes.
Stir in the cabbage, tomatoes, salt, thyme, marjoram, dill, cayenne pepper and tomato sauce. Add enough water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!