PCC Sweet Potato Risotto Chowder
Serves: 4 to 6
Yield: Makes about 1 1/2 quarts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons neutral-flavored oil Add to list
- 1/2 red onion, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic Add to list
- 1/2 pound jewel yams, peeled and chopped Add to list
- 4 ounces frozen sweet corn Add to list
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley Add to list
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano Add to list
- 2 teaspoons paprika Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- Water, as needed Add to list
- 1/2 cup arborio rice Add to list
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, bell peppers and garlic; cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in yams, corn, parsley, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper. Add enough water to cover the vegetables by 1 inch and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until yams are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, boil rice in a large pot of salted water over high heat until tender, about 15 minutes; drain and set aside.
When the rice and potatoes are done, add rice to the soup pot. Briefly blend with an immersion blender to thicken the soup, but do not puree entirely.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!