PCC Spicy Tofu and Spelt
- 2 cups spelt berries Add to list
- 4 cups water Add to list
- 1/2 cup tamari Add to list
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger Add to list
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic Add to list
- 2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper Add to list
- 1/2 cup toasted sesame oil Add to list
- 1/2 cup olive oil Add to list
- 1 1/4 pounds extra firm tofu Add to list
- 1/2 red bell pepper Add to list
- 1/2 bunch (about 3 to 4) green onions, finely sliced Add to list
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped Italian parsley Add to list
- 1/2 cup finely shredded red cabbage Add to list
- 1 carrot, shredded Add to list
Bring spelt berries and water to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until spelt berries are tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Drain and rinse.
Mix together tamari, ginger, garlic, rice vinegar, cayenne, sesame oil and olive oil until sauce is blended.
Preheat oven to 325° F. Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes. Pour sauce over tofu and bake in oven for 15 minutes. Stir and cook another 15 minutes, or until browned and cooked. Cool sauce and tofu, then pour over spelt.
Julienne the red pepper by slicing it into thin matchsticks, each about 2 inches long. Toss remaining ingredients with the spelt-tofu mixture.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!