PCC Spanish Rice
Serves: 4 to 6
Prep time: 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon garlic Add to list
- 3 green onions Add to list
- 1/3 cup cilantro Add to list
- 1/2 cup canned green chiles, drained Add to list
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes, drained Add to list
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin Add to list
- 2 teaspoons paprika Add to list
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano Add to list
- 2 teaspoons olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 pound yellow onion, diced into 1/4-inch pieces Add to list
- 2 cups basmati rice Add to list
- 3 cups water Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed Add to list
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
In a food processor, combine garlic, green onions, cilantro, chiles, tomatoes, cumin, paprika and oregano until the mixture is thick and the vegetables and herbs are all coarsely chopped.
Warm oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat, and add onions. Cook until soft, about 8 minutes.
Add basmati rice and continue to cook for 2 more minutes, until rice becomes slightly browned.
Add water, pinto beans and chopped vegetable mixture and stir well. Adjust heat to medium-low.
Cover and let simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until rice is fully cooked. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »