PCC Spanish Rice
Serves: 4 to 6
Prep time: 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon garlic Add to list
- 3 green onions Add to list
- 1/3 cup cilantro Add to list
- 1/2 cup canned green chiles, drained Add to list
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes, drained Add to list
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin Add to list
- 2 teaspoons paprika Add to list
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano Add to list
- 2 teaspoons olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 pound yellow onion, diced into 1/4-inch pieces Add to list
- 2 cups basmati rice Add to list
- 3 cups water Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed Add to list
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
In a food processor, combine garlic, green onions, cilantro, chiles, tomatoes, cumin, paprika and oregano until the mixture is thick and the vegetables and herbs are all coarsely chopped.
Warm oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat, and add onions. Cook until soft, about 8 minutes.
Add basmati rice and continue to cook for 2 more minutes, until rice becomes slightly browned.
Add water, pinto beans and chopped vegetable mixture and stir well. Adjust heat to medium-low.
Cover and let simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until rice is fully cooked. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!