PCC Roasted Yams and Kale
- 5 pounds yams, cut into wedges 1-inch long by 1/2-inch wide Add to list
- 2 teaspoons salt Add to list
- 2 teaspoons black pepper Add to list
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided Add to list
- 2 sliced yellow onions Add to list
- 2 bunches green kale, cut into 1/2-inch strips Add to list
- 1/2 cup roasted garlic cloves Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme Add to list
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar Add to list
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Toss yams with salt, pepper and about 2 tablespoons oil to coat; roast until browned and soft throughout, about 15 to 25 minutes. Cool in refrigerator.
To caramelize onions, heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium-high heat until hot, add sliced onions and let sauté for about 3 minutes without stirring. Continue to sauté over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until onions begin to brown. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to slowly sauté, stirring about once a minute until the onions are soft and brown. This process can take 15 to 45 minutes depending on desired darkness of onions. Cool in refrigerator.
Oil kale with remaining olive oil (about 2 tablespoons). Lightly roast for 10 minutes, or until soft but not browned. Let cool fully in the refrigerator.
In a food processor, combine roasted garlic, thyme and red wine vinegar until dressing is blended. Combine all cooled ingredients with dressing and toss to coat.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!