PCC Roasted Yams and Kale
- 2 pounds unpeeled Jewel or Garnet yams, cut into wedges 1-inch long by 1/2-inch wide Add to list
- 1/4 cup cooking oil, divided Add to list
- Salt and black pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1/4 cup whole garlic cloves, peeled Add to list
- 1 yellow onion, sliced Add to list
- 1 bunch green kale, tough stems removed and leaves cut into 1/2-inch strips Add to list
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme Add to list
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Toss the yams with 1 tablespoon oil, salt and pepper. Spread out the yams on a baking sheet.
Line a baking dish with foil and place garlic cloves in the center. Drizzle about 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over the cloves and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Fold up the foil to create a packet and seal tightly.
Place both the baking sheet of yams and the garlic in the oven. Roast the yams until golden and tender, 35 to 45 minutes. Roast the garlic until soft, 40 to 50 minutes. Allow both to cool.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add sliced onions and cook until caramelized, stirring occasionally, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool.
Increase oven temperature to 450° F.
Lightly coat kale with remaining oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and roast until soft but lightly browned at the edges, about 3 minutes. Cool.
Combine roasted garlic cloves, vinegar and thyme in a food processor or blender; blend until smooth. Combine dressing, yams, kale and onions in a large bowl; toss to coat.
October 2013: Thank you for all of the wonderful feedback. We hope you'll find this updated recipe easier to use for the home kitchen!
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »