PCC Roasted Mushroom Risotto Cakes
Yield: Makes 4 cakes
- 2 3/4 cups mushroom or vegetable stock, divided Add to list
- 2 tablespoons plus 3 teaspoons neutral-flavored oil, divided Add to list
- 1 cup arborio rice Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 4 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced Add to list
- 2 tablespoons diced onions Add to list
- 3 teaspoons white wine Add to list
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream Add to list
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese Add to list
- Spray oil Add to list
In a pot, bring vegetable stock to a simmer; keep warm.
Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 3 teaspoons oil and rice to the hot pan and toast for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 2 1/2 cups hot stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a rapid boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for exactly 18 minutes. Turn off the heat and spread the rice on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Let cool slightly while preparing remaining ingredients.
Preheat oven to 425° F.
Toss mushrooms with 1 tablespoon oil, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until just golden, about 10 minutes.
Heat remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Stir in roasted mushrooms and cook 1 minute more. Deglaze the pan with wine and let reduce for 1 minute. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup vegetable stock and heavy cream; bring to a simmer. Gently fold in cooled risotto and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat, stir in the cheese and allow to cool slightly.
Divide risotto into 4 balls and gently flatten using parchment paper. Lightly spray each cake with oil and roast on a parchment-lined baking sheet until just browned, 7 to 10 minutes.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!