PCC Quinoa Loaf
Yield: Makes 1 loaf
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 1 cup water Add to list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided Add to list
- 1/4 cup diced carrots Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped crimini mushrooms Add to list
- 1/4 cup diced celery Add to list
- 1/2 cup diced onion, divided Add to list
- 1/4 pound tempeh, crumbled Add to list
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast Add to list
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste Add to list
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 1/4 cup oat flour Add to list
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried basil Add to list
- 1/4 cup ketchup Add to list
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Combine quinoa and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes (you want the quinoa to be a little mushy!). Remove from heat and let the quinoa rest for 5 minutes then fluff with a fork.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add carrots, mushrooms, celery and 1/4 cup onion. Cook until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in tempeh.
In a food processor or blender, combine remaining oil, remaining 1/4 cup onion, nutritional yeast, tomato paste, garlic and salt. Pulse until smooth.
In a large bowl, combine quinoa, vegetable-tempeh mixture, nutritional yeast mixture, oat flour, Worcestershire sauce, sage and basil. Form into a loaf and place on prepared baking sheet. Mix together ketchup and brown sugar and spread on top of loaf. Bake for 30 minutes.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!