PCC Potato Leek Soup
Yield: 3 quarts
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided Add to list
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups sliced leeks Add to list
- 1 1/4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 3 1/2 cups) Add to list
- 1 parsnip, sliced into thin discs Add to list
- 2/3 pound red potatoes, sliced into thin discs (about 2 cups) Add to list
- 4 cups vegetable stock, to cover Add to list
- 1/2 cup heavy cream Add to list
- 1 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, heat half of the butter over low heat. Raise temperature to medium and sauté onions, salt and half the leeks. Reserve the rest of the leeks and butter.
Add russet potatoes and parsnips to pot. Cover with stock. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer until potatoes are cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
In a food processor or blender, puree mixture while pouring in cream.
Steam or parboil red potatoes until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Sauté remaining leeks in the remaining butter. Add red potatoes and sautéed leeks to soup. Add pepper and adjust salt, to taste.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »