PCC Lemon Split Pea Soup
Yield: Makes about 1 quart
- 1 tablespoon neutral-flavored oil Add to list
- 1 cup diced onions Add to list
- 1/2 cup diced celery Add to list
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced Add to list
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic Add to list
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger Add to list
- 1 cup dried yellow split peas, rinsed and sorted Add to list
- 4 cups water Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice Add to list
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley Add to list
Heat oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic and ginger; sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add split peas and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until peas are tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
When peas are tender, stir in thyme, dill, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes more, to blend flavors. Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon juice, zest and parsley just before serving.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »