PCC Lemon Split Pea Soup
Yield: Makes about 1 quart
- 1 tablespoon neutral-flavored oil Add to list
- 1 cup diced onions Add to list
- 1/2 cup diced celery Add to list
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced Add to list
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic Add to list
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger Add to list
- 1 cup dried yellow split peas, rinsed and sorted Add to list
- 4 cups water Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice Add to list
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley Add to list
Heat oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic and ginger; sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add split peas and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until peas are tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
When peas are tender, stir in thyme, dill, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes more, to blend flavors. Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon juice, zest and parsley just before serving.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!