PCC Kaleidoscope Salad
Serves: 4 to 6
Eat a rainbow! A colorful diet offers a wide variety of antioxidants for fighting free radicals. Studies show improvements in health are cumulative after a period of time, so eat a rainbow regularly!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 2 tablespoons lime juice Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic Add to list
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste Add to list
- 3 or 4 golden beets Add to list
- 3 carrots, scrubbed and cut into wedges Add to list
- 1 cucumber - peeled, seeded and cut into wedges Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro Add to list
To make dressing, combine olive oil, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl; set aside.
Scrub beets clean and place in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover with a loose-fitting lid and cook until easily pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes. Allow the beets to cool slightly then slip off skins under cool running water. Remove root and stem ends and cut into 1-inch wedges.
Place carrots in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover with a loose-fitting lid and cook until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and cool.
Toss dressing, beets, carrots, cucumber and cilantro together in a bowl.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!