PCC Indonesian Rice
Serves: 6 to 8
What a pleasure that something as simple as brown rice can be transformed into this fragrant, flavorful salad.
- 2 cups short grain brown rice Add to list
- 3 cups water Add to list
- 1/3 cup orange juice concentrate Add to list
- 2 tablespoons tamari Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper Add to list
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic Add to list
- 1/4 cup crushed canned pineapple Add to list
- 2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar Add to list
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil Add to list
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly slice Add to list
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced Add to list
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced Add to list
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced Add to list
- 1 cup roasted Spanish peanuts Add to list
- 1/3 cup currants or raisins Add to list
In a pot, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until the water is absorbed, about 40 minutes.
In a bowl, mix together orange juice concentrate, tamari, salt, crushed red pepper, garlic, pineapple, rice vinegar and sesame oil.
When the rice is cooked, but still hot, stir in dressing. Cool in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally.
When the rice is fully cooled, stir in celery, green onions, bell peppers, peanuts and currants.
Each serving: 370 cal, 18g fat (2g sat), 0mg chol, 555mg sodium, 48g carb, 6g fiber, 9g protein
Make it a meal
Complete your meal with these dishes selected by our deli to complement the flavors of the salad.
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "New Day Northwest" show, which aired on April 14, 2010.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!