PCC Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Yield: 5 quarts
- 2 cups 2% milk Add to list
- 7 cups vegetable stock Add to list
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached wheat flour Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 5 teaspoons dill weed Add to list
- 1/4 cup paprika Add to list
- 2 teaspoons black pepper Add to list
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter Add to list
- 2 1/2 medium yellow onions, diced Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream Add to list
- 3 pounds crimini mushrooms, sliced Add to list
Heat milk and vegetable stock over low heat. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt, dill, paprika and pepper, making sure to break up any paprika lumps.
In large soup pot, melt butter over low heat. Raise heat to medium-high and sauté onions until translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to low. Add dry ingredients to soup pot and stir well. Cook about 5 to 8 minutes, stirring constantly, to activate the roux.
Add hot milk and hot vegetable stock in increments to the soup pot, each time stirring until smooth and allowing the temperature to rise to a simmer. Simmer soup over medium heat until roux "blooms" by changing color and texture, about 20 to 30 minutes.
Place sour cream in previously used mixing bowl. Pour 2 cups hot soup into sour cream to temper; whisk until smooth. Reserve.
Add sliced mushrooms to pot, stir well, and simmer about 5 minutes. Take off heat. At first it will seem as though there are too many mushrooms relative to the size of the batch of soup, but don't skimp on the mushrooms!
Stir in tempered sour cream.
Reheat soup in a double boiler to just 165° F. Overheating will cause it to break and become oily.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!