PCC Ham, White Bean and Fennel Soup
Yield: Makes 1 gallon
- 2 cups dried cannellini beans Add to list
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic Add to list
- 1 tablespoon high-heat oil Add to list
- 1 cup diced onions Add to list
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper Add to list
- 1/2 cup diced fennel Add to list
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme Add to list
- 1/2 cup white wine Add to list
- 1 pound uncured ham, diced Add to list
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans diced tomatoes Add to list
- 1/4 cup orange juice Add to list
- 1 tablespoon orange zest Add to list
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
Combine beans, garlic and 2 quarts water in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until tender, about 1 hour.
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Sauté onions, peppers, fennel and thyme until tender, about 10 minutes. Deglaze the pot with white wine and boil briefly.
Add diced ham, cooked beans with cooking water, tomatoes, orange juice, zest and vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Return to a simmer and heat through.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »