PCC Egyptian Red Lentil Soup
Yield: 2 quarts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil Add to list
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes Add to list
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander Add to list
- 1 1/4 cups dried red lentils Add to list
- 12 ounces canned diced tomatoes Add to list
- 6 cups vegetable stock or water Add to list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro Add to list
- 2 teaspoons salt Add to list
In large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, cumin and coriander until onions are soft, about 2 minutes.
Sort and rinse lentils and add to pot along with tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, about 40 minutes.
Before serving, stir in lemon juice, cilantro and salt.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!