PCC Curried Lentil Soup
Yield: Makes about 2 quarts
- 1 tablespoon neutral-flavored oil Add to list
- 1 cup diced carrots Add to list
- 3/4 cup diced celery Add to list
- 1/2 cup diced onion Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander Add to list
- 1 teaspoon garam masala Add to list
- 2 cups green lentils, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 4 cups water Add to list
- 3 ounces fresh spinach, chopped Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onions, garlic and ginger; cook until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in spices and lentils; cook for 1 additional minute.
Pour in water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, partially covered, until lentils are tender, 30 to 40 minutes. When lentils are tender, stir in spinach; season to taste with salt and pepper.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »