PCC Curried Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup
Yield: Makes 2 quarts
- 1 tablespoon neutral-flavored oil Add to list
- 1/2 red onion, diced Add to list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic Add to list
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger Add to list
- 3 cups diced jewel yams (about 1 1/2 pounds) Add to list
- 1/4 pound carrots, peeled and sliced Add to list
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced Add to list
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, diced (see note) Add to list
- 1 tablespoon curry powder Add to list
- 1 1/4 cups green lentils, rinsed and picked over Add to list
- 1 (13-ounce) can coconut milk Add to list
- 4 cups water Add to list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice Add to list
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, leaves chopped Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Sauté onions, garlic and ginger until soft, 7 to 10 minutes.
Add yams, carrots, bell pepper, jalapeño and curry powder. Sauté for 10 minutes.
Mix in lentils and cover with coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil, then cover the pot and reduce to a simmer. Cook until lentils and yams are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice and cilantro. Add salt, to taste.
For a spicy soup, keep the seeds in the jalapeño. For a less spicy soup, remove the seeds before dicing.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »