PCC Curried Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup
Yield: Makes 2 quarts
- 1 tablespoon neutral-flavored oil Add to list
- 1/2 red onion, diced Add to list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic Add to list
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger Add to list
- 3 cups diced jewel yams (about 1 1/2 pounds) Add to list
- 1/4 pound carrots, peeled and sliced Add to list
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced Add to list
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, diced (see note) Add to list
- 1 tablespoon curry powder Add to list
- 1 1/4 cups green lentils, rinsed and picked over Add to list
- 1 (13-ounce) can coconut milk Add to list
- 4 cups water Add to list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice Add to list
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, leaves chopped Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Sauté onions, garlic and ginger until soft, 7 to 10 minutes.
Add yams, carrots, bell pepper, jalapeño and curry powder. Sauté for 10 minutes.
Mix in lentils and cover with coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil, then cover the pot and reduce to a simmer. Cook until lentils and yams are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice and cilantro. Add salt, to taste.
For a spicy soup, keep the seeds in the jalapeño. For a less spicy soup, remove the seeds before dicing.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!