PCC Cream of Broccoli Soup
Yield: Makes about 3 quarts
- 1 pound broccoli Add to list
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) butter Add to list
- 2 cups diced onion Add to list
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper Add to list
- 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour Add to list
- 9 cups 2% milk Add to list
- 1 quart vegetable stock Add to list
- 1/2 pound shredded cheddar cheese Add to list
Cut florets from broccoli and peel stems. Steam florets and stems until soft, 3 to 5 minutes.
In a large soup pot, sauté butter, onions, marjoram, salt and pepper over medium heat. Cook onions until golden brown, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes. Add flour and stir to make a roux. Slowly whisk in milk and stock; bring to a boil. Add cooked broccoli and remove from heat.
Blend soup using an immersion blender or in batches in a food processor or blender, leaving a few chunks. Stir in cheese until melted, returning the pot to low heat, if necessary, to help melt the cheese. The soup will be quite thick.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »