PCC Chile Colorado
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 2 teaspoons chili powder Add to list
- 2 teaspoons salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided Add to list
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, fat trimmed and meat cut into 1-inch cubes Add to list
- 1 1/2 medium yellow onions, diced Add to list
- 3/4 cup Ancho Sauce Add to list
- 1/2 cup canned diced green chiles Add to list
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro Add to list
- 2 cups chicken stock Add to list
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar Add to list
- 3/4 cup water Add to list
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce Add to list
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano Add to list
Preheat oven to 350º F.
Combine flour, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Toss pork in flour and shake off excess.
Pour 1/2 cup oil on two sheet pans and divide the pork evenly between them. Roast in oven for 30 minutes, or until brown. Cool.
In a large skillet, sauté the onions in 2 tablespoons hot oil for 2 minutes. Add the Ancho Sauce and chiles and sauté 2 minutes more. Add the garlic and cilantro and sauté briefly. Deglaze pan by adding a little of the chicken stock.
Add the pork, all remaining stock, vinegar, water, tomato sauce and oregano.
Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours over low heat, stirring occasionally. Adjust consistency with water if necessary.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!