PCC Chile Colorado
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 2 teaspoons chili powder Add to list
- 2 teaspoons salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided Add to list
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, fat trimmed and meat cut into 1-inch cubes Add to list
- 1 1/2 medium yellow onions, diced Add to list
- 3/4 cup Ancho Sauce Add to list
- 1/2 cup canned diced green chiles Add to list
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro Add to list
- 2 cups chicken stock Add to list
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar Add to list
- 3/4 cup water Add to list
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce Add to list
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano Add to list
Preheat oven to 350º F.
Combine flour, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Toss pork in flour and shake off excess.
Pour 1/2 cup oil on two sheet pans and divide the pork evenly between them. Roast in oven for 30 minutes, or until brown. Cool.
In a large skillet, sauté the onions in 2 tablespoons hot oil for 2 minutes. Add the Ancho Sauce and chiles and sauté 2 minutes more. Add the garlic and cilantro and sauté briefly. Deglaze pan by adding a little of the chicken stock.
Add the pork, all remaining stock, vinegar, water, tomato sauce and oregano.
Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours over low heat, stirring occasionally. Adjust consistency with water if necessary.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »