PCC Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Yield: Makes about 3 quarts
- 1 cup wild rice Add to list
- 2 tablespoons neutral-flavored oil Add to list
- 1 cup diced onions Add to list
- 1/2 cup diced celery Add to list
- 1/2 cup diced carrots Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried sage Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano Add to list
- 1 bay leaf Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 8 cups chicken stock Add to list
- 1 pound cooked chicken meat, cut into small pieces Add to list
- 1/2 cup frozen peas Add to list
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook wild rice until tender, 35 to 60 minutes, depending on how fresh it is and whether you like it soft or chewy. Drain.
Heat oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Cook onions, celery, carrots, garlic, herbs and spices until soft, about 5 minutes. Add stock and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour. Stir in cooked rice, cooked chicken and peas. Heat through and adjust seasonings.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »