PCC Chicken Tortilla Soup
Yield: 3 quarts
- 1/2 pound cooked chicken meat Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 1/2 medium yellow onions, diced Add to list
- 6 celery ribs, diced Add to list
- 2 cups shredded carrots Add to list
- 1 green bell pepper, julienned Add to list
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned Add to list
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic Add to list
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes Add to list
- 2 teaspoons salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin Add to list
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano Add to list
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme Add to list
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce Add to list
- 6 ounces canned diced tomatoes Add to list
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 8 cups chicken stock Add to list
- 4 ounces corn tortillas, cut into wedges Add to list
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro Add to list
Pick meat from chicken and set aside. Make stock out of the bones or use packaged chicken stock.
In large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onions, celery, carrots, bell peppers, jalapeño, garlic and spices until soft, about 8 to 12 minutes.
Add chicken, tomato sauce, tomatoes and black beans. Cover with chicken stock and bring to a boil.
Add corn tortillas and shredded cheddar cheese. Take off heat and stir until cheese is melted. Add cilantro before serving.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »