PCC Chicken Mushroom Barley Soup
Serves: 4 to 6
- 3 cups water Add to list
- 3/4 cup pearled barley Add to list
- 1 tablespoon neutral-flavored oil Add to list
- 2 cups diced onion Add to list
- 1 cup diced celery Add to list
- 1 cup diced carrots Add to list
- 1/2 pound crimini mushrooms, sliced Add to list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried thyme Add to list
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- 8 cups chicken broth Add to list
- 2 cups mushroom broth Add to list
- 1 pound cooked chicken, shredded Add to list
- 1 tablespoon tamari Add to list
Bring water to a boil and add barley. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until barley is al dente and most of the water is absorbed, 50 to 60 minutes. Drain, if necessary.
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are just softened, 10 to 12 minutes.
Add chicken broth and mushroom broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Stir in cooked barley, chicken and tamari. Heat through and season to taste with additional tamari, if desired.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!