PCC Broccoli and Cheese Risotto Cakes
Yield: Makes 4 cakes
- 2 3/4 cups vegetable stock Add to list
- 2 tablespoons plus 3 teaspoons neutral-flavored oil, divided Add to list
- 1 cup arborio rice Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 tablespoons diced onions Add to list
- 1/4 pound broccoli, cut into 1/2-inch pieces Add to list
- 2 teaspoons white wine Add to list
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream Add to list
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese Add to list
- Spray oil Add to list
In a pot, bring vegetable stock to a simmer; keep warm.
Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 3 teaspoons oil and the rice to the hot pan and toast for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 2 1/2 cups hot stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a rapid boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for exactly 18 minutes. Turn off the heat and spread the rice on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Let cool slightly while preparing remaining ingredients.
Preheat oven to 425° F.
Heat remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Stir in broccoli and cook 1 minute more. Deglaze the pan with wine and let reduce for 1 minute. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup vegetable stock and heavy cream; bring to a simmer. Gently fold in cooled risotto and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat, stir in the cheese and allow to cool slightly.
Divide risotto into 4 balls and gently flatten using parchment paper. Lightly spray each cake with oil and roast on a parchment-lined baking sheet until just browned, 7 to 10 minutes.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »