PCC Bombay Potato Soup
Serves: 10 to 12
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil Add to list
- 2 cups diced onions Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric Add to list
- 1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered Add to list
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut on the diagonal Add to list
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 (14-ounce) cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes Add to list
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped Add to list
- 1/4 cup currants Add to list
In a large soup pot, heat oil, onions, curry powder, garam masala and turmeric over medium heat. Cook onions until soft, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Stir in potatoes and carrots; add enough water to cover. Season with salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until potatoes and carrots are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in garbanzo beans, tomatoes, bell pepper and currants; heat through. Season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »