PCC Black-eyed Peas with Sausage and Kale
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1/4 pound Italian sausage Add to list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic Add to list
- 1/2 red pepper, diced Add to list
- 2 bay leaves Add to list
- 2 teaspoons dried sage Add to list
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme Add to list
- 2 teaspoons salt Add to list
- 2 teaspoons black pepper Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth Add to list
- 1/2 pound russet potatoes, chopped Add to list
- 2 1/2 cups cooked black-eyed peas, drained Add to list
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet corn, thawed Add to list
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder Add to list
- 2 cups chopped green kale Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Bake sausage for 10 to 12 minutes in the oven until cooked through and lightly browned. Cool and chop.
In a large, heavy-bottomed pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and red pepper and sauté until the onions are translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Add herbs, salt, pepper, chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are almost done, about 10 to 15 minutes, or until just slightly firm when pierced with a fork.
Add the black-eyed peas, corn and sausage and simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Thicken with arrowroot and then add chopped kale at the end, just before serving. Serve over rice.
If you’d like to use dried beans, find cooking instructions at Choosing and cooking with beans.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!