PCC Black-Eyed Peas with Kale Soup
Yield: Makes about 2 1/2 quarts
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas Add to list
- 2 tablespoons neutral-flavored oil Add to list
- 2 cups diced onion Add to list
- 1 cup diced celery Add to list
- 1 cup diced carrots Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage Add to list
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary Add to list
- 1 bay leaf Add to list
- 1/4 pound green kale, tough stems removed and leaves chopped Add to list
- 4 ounces frozen sweet corn Add to list
- 2 quarts vegetable stock Add to list
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste Add to list
Soak peas in water for at least 4 hours. Drain and rinse.
In a large soup pot, cover peas with ample water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until just tender, about 1 hour. Drain and set aside.
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Sauté onions, celery, carrots, garlic, oregano, thyme, sage and rosemary until soft, about 10 minutes. Add bay leaf.
Add kale, corn and cooked black-eyed peas to the pot. Cover with stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »