PCC Black-Eyed Peas with Kale Soup
Yield: Makes about 2 1/2 quarts
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas Add to list
- 2 tablespoons neutral-flavored oil Add to list
- 2 cups diced onion Add to list
- 1 cup diced celery Add to list
- 1 cup diced carrots Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage Add to list
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary Add to list
- 1 bay leaf Add to list
- 1/4 pound green kale, tough stems removed and leaves chopped Add to list
- 4 ounces frozen sweet corn Add to list
- 2 quarts vegetable stock Add to list
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste Add to list
Soak peas in water for at least 4 hours. Drain and rinse.
In a large soup pot, cover peas with ample water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until just tender, about 1 hour. Drain and set aside.
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Sauté onions, celery, carrots, garlic, oregano, thyme, sage and rosemary until soft, about 10 minutes. Add bay leaf.
Add kale, corn and cooked black-eyed peas to the pot. Cover with stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!