PCC Black Bean and Corn Enchilada Casserole
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1/2 onion, divided Add to list
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided Add to list
- 12 ounces canned crushed tomatoes Add to list
- 1/2 cup water Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder Add to list
- 2 teaspoons paprika Add to list
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin Add to list
- 1 teaspoon oregano Add to list
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips Add to list
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 3/4 pound frozen sweet corn, thawed Add to list
- 1/2 cup canned diced green chiles Add to list
- 8 corn tortillas Add to list
- 3/4 pound shredded pepper jack cheese Add to list
Dice 1/4 of the onion. Cut the remaining 1/4 onion into strips.
To make sauce, sauté diced onions and minced garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until soft, about 8 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, water, salt, chipotle powder, paprika, cumin and oregano. Let simmer for at least 15 minutes. Cool.
To make filling, sauté sliced onions and both bell peppers in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Mix with beans, corn, and green chilies.
Preheat oven to 350º F.
Dip the tortillas in the sauce.
Assemble layers in a large casserole pan by first covering the bottom with tortillas, then adding a layer of filling and then sprinkling with cheese. Repeat layers two more times, ending with a topping of cheese.
Cover and bake until casserole reaches an internal temperature of 165° F and the top is lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »