PCC Black Bean and Corn Enchilada Casserole
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1/2 onion, divided Add to list
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided Add to list
- 12 ounces canned crushed tomatoes Add to list
- 1/2 cup water Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder Add to list
- 2 teaspoons paprika Add to list
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin Add to list
- 1 teaspoon oregano Add to list
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips Add to list
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 3/4 pound frozen sweet corn, thawed Add to list
- 1/2 cup canned diced green chiles Add to list
- 8 corn tortillas Add to list
- 3/4 pound shredded pepper jack cheese Add to list
Dice 1/4 of the onion. Cut the remaining 1/4 onion into strips.
To make sauce, sauté diced onions and minced garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until soft, about 8 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, water, salt, chipotle powder, paprika, cumin and oregano. Let simmer for at least 15 minutes. Cool.
To make filling, sauté sliced onions and both bell peppers in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Mix with beans, corn, and green chilies.
Preheat oven to 350º F.
Dip the tortillas in the sauce.
Assemble layers in a large casserole pan by first covering the bottom with tortillas, then adding a layer of filling and then sprinkling with cheese. Repeat layers two more times, ending with a topping of cheese.
Cover and bake until casserole reaches an internal temperature of 165° F and the top is lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!