PCC Beef Moussaka
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided Add to list
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef Add to list
- 1/4 pound (about 1 small) onion, diced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic Add to list
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided Add to list
- 2 teaspoons black pepper Add to list
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon Add to list
- 1 pound eggplant, sliced 1/2-inch thick rounds Add to list
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter Add to list
- 1/4 cup unbleached wheat flour Add to list
- 2 cups whole milk Add to list
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce Add to list
- 1/3 pound shredded Parmesan cheese Add to list
In a large saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add ground beef, onions, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, oregano and cinnamon. Sauté until meat is lightly browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
Brush eggplant with remaining oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Grill over a medium-high flame until blackened and soft, about 4 to 5 minutes a side. Cool and set aside.
To make béchamel sauce, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until combined. Lower heat and slowly add milk, mixing constantly until roux thickens. Finish with remaining 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, nutmeg and Worcestershire.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
In a casserole pan, layer seasoned ground beef, then grilled eggplant, then béchamel sauce. Top with Parmesan cheese. Bake until top is browned and internal temperature is 165° F, about 45 to 50 minutes.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »