PCC Beef Moussaka
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided Add to list
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef Add to list
- 1/4 pound (about 1 small) onion, diced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic Add to list
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided Add to list
- 2 teaspoons black pepper Add to list
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon Add to list
- 1 pound eggplant, sliced 1/2-inch thick rounds Add to list
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter Add to list
- 1/4 cup unbleached wheat flour Add to list
- 2 cups whole milk Add to list
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce Add to list
- 1/3 pound shredded Parmesan cheese Add to list
In a large saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add ground beef, onions, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, oregano and cinnamon. Sauté until meat is lightly browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
Brush eggplant with remaining oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Grill over a medium-high flame until blackened and soft, about 4 to 5 minutes a side. Cool and set aside.
To make béchamel sauce, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until combined. Lower heat and slowly add milk, mixing constantly until roux thickens. Finish with remaining 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, nutmeg and Worcestershire.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
In a casserole pan, layer seasoned ground beef, then grilled eggplant, then béchamel sauce. Top with Parmesan cheese. Bake until top is browned and internal temperature is 165° F, about 45 to 50 minutes.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!