PCC Beef Farro Soup
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil Add to list
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef Add to list
- 2 cups diced onion Add to list
- 1 cup diced carrot Add to list
- 1 cup diced celery Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground rosemary Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried sage Add to list
- 1 teaspoon paprika Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram Add to list
- 3/4 teaspoon ground fennel seed Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- 2 1/2 cups water, or more as needed Add to list
- 1/2 cup red wine Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes Add to list
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes Add to list
- 1/2 cup emmer farro, rinsed Add to list
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook beef until no longer pink, 8 to 10 minutes; drain oil and liquid.
Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, herbs and spices, salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are soft, 10 to 12 minutes. Pour in water, red wine, diced and crushed tomatoes; bring to a simmer.
Stir in farro and simmer until tender, 30 to 40 minutes (you can add more water if a thinner soup is desired). Adjust seasonings and serve.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!