PCC Aztec Quinoa and Bean Salad
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa Add to list
- 2 1/4 cups water Add to list
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds Add to list
- 1/3 cup lime juice Add to list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic Add to list
- 2 teaspoons chili powder Add to list
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin Add to list
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder Add to list
- Salt, to taste Add to list
- 1 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed (see note) Add to list
- 1/2 bunch green onions, sliced Add to list
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced Add to list
- 1 handful Italian parsley, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn, thawed Add to list
Rinse quinoa and drain. Bring water to a boil. Add quinoa, return to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and leave covered for 1/2 hour. Cool on tray or cookie sheet in the refrigerator.
To toast pumpkin seeds, preheat oven to 350° F. Spread seeds on a cookie sheet and toast for 4 to 5 minutes. Let cool.
Whisk together lime juice, oil, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, chipotle powder and salt until dressing is blended.
Transfer cooled quinoa to a large bowl and add beans. Toss with dressing. Add pumpkin seeds, green onions, tomatoes, parsley and corn. Stir gently to combine.
The PCC Deli prefers to start with dry pinto beans. Learn about cooking beans.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!