PCC Autumn Lentil Soup
Yield: 3 quarts
- 1/4 cup olive oil Add to list
- 1 1/2 medium yellow onions, diced Add to list
- 6 celery ribs, diced Add to list
- 2 cups diced carrots Add to list
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic Add to list
- 1 cup dried lentils Add to list
- 8 cups water Add to list
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme Add to list
- 2 bay leaves Add to list
- 3/4 pound russet potatoes, diced no larger than size of sugar cubes Add to list
- 2 teaspoons salt Add to list
- 1/4 pound (4 ounces) frozen spinach Add to list
- 1 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onions, celery, carrots and garlic until soft, about 8 to 12 minutes.
Rinse and drain lentils. Add lentils, water and remaining ingredients except the spinach and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until lentils are tender and soup has thickened, about 40 minutes.
Add frozen spinach and pepper. More water may be needed if soup is too thick.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!