PCC Aunt Lovie’s Dirty Rice
Serves: 10, as a side
- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil, divided Add to list
- 3/4 cup basmati rice Add to list
- 2 teaspoons PCC Cajun Seasoning, divided Add to list
- 1 cup beef broth Add to list
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef Add to list
- 1/2 cup diced onions Add to list
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper Add to list
- 1/2 cup diced celery Add to list
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning. Add beef broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand covered for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the ground beef until brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove and drain fat, if necessary. Sauté onions, peppers and celery in the same skillet until tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in the beef and remaining 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning; cook for 5 minutes more.
Stir the beef-vegetable mixture into the cooked rice and serve.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!