PCC Aunt Lovie’s Dirty Rice
Serves: 10, as a side
- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil, divided Add to list
- 3/4 cup basmati rice Add to list
- 2 teaspoons PCC Cajun Seasoning, divided Add to list
- 1 cup beef broth Add to list
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef Add to list
- 1/2 cup diced onions Add to list
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper Add to list
- 1/2 cup diced celery Add to list
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning. Add beef broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand covered for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the ground beef until brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove and drain fat, if necessary. Sauté onions, peppers and celery in the same skillet until tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in the beef and remaining 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning; cook for 5 minutes more.
Stir the beef-vegetable mixture into the cooked rice and serve.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »