Pasta with Eggplant, Mushrooms and Fresh Mozzarella
This dish gets plenty of flavor from perfectly ripe summer tomatoes, earthy mushrooms and eggplant.
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided Add to list
- 1/2 medium eggplant, diced Add to list
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced Add to list
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, quartered if small or cut into 6 pieces Add to list
- 1 pound ripe Roma tomatoes, cut up Add to list
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste Add to list
- 10 ounces fettuccine Add to list
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella, diced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley leaves, finely chopped Add to list
Have a large pot of water ready to cook the pasta. In a large sauté pan, heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil, add diced eggplant and cook until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil, garlic and mushrooms to the sauté pan and cook until golden. Add the cut up tomatoes, eggplant, salt and pepper to taste.
Let it simmer while you are cooking the fettuccine. Cook the pasta very al dente. Drain (but save a small amount of cooking water), then add pasta to the sauce and toss well.
Add a small amount of the pasta water if the mixture is too dry. Turn heat off and add diced mozzarella. Stir very gently, but don't allow cheese to totally melt. Serve immediately, garnished with chopped parsley.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor