Pasta con Piselli (Pasta with Peas)
Pancetta adds extra flavor to this simple yet hearty dish.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped Add to list
- 6 ounces pancetta, chopped Add to list
- Freshly ground pepper Add to list
- 1 pound small peas (if frozen, thawed) Add to list
- 1/2 cup white wine Add to list
- Salt, to taste Add to list
- 1 pound pasta (farfalle [bowties], shells or penne work well) Add to list
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese Add to list
In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil; add onion and pancetta and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until pancetta is soft. Add pepper and peas and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the wine and reduce; add salt to taste. Turn off the heat.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of water with 1 tablespoon salt. Cook the pasta very al dente. Before you drain the pasta, save about 1 cup of the cooking water. Drain the pasta and return it back to the pan. Add the pea mixure and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the reserved pasta water as needed. Stir in the Romano and serve.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: PCC Sound Consumer, April 2011