Pasta with Asparagus & Roasted Red Pepper
Serves: 2 to 4
- 1 red bell pepper Add to list
- 1/2 pound asparagus Add to list
- 1/2 pound fettucine or other long pasta, cooked al denté Add to list
- 2 tablespoons oil Add to list
- 1 cup cream sauce base Add to list
- 2 tablespoons cold water Add to list
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot Add to list
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan (optional) Add to list
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped Add to list
- 1 to 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (optional) Add to list
- Salt and pepper Add to list
- 1/4 cup brandy Add to list
- 1/4 cup minced shallots or 1/2 cup minced red onion Add to list
- 2 to 3 tablespoons peppercorns (green preferred), rinsed Add to list
- 1/3 cup dry white wine Add to list
- 1/3 cup evaporated skim milk Add to list
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon Add to list
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste Add to list
Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
Under a hot broiler, roast pepper until skin is charred and blistered, turning to ensure all sides are roasted. Remove from broiler and seal in a paper bag. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove skin and seeds and slice pepper into thin strips about 2 inches in length. Set aside.
Cut off the woody bottom part of each asparagus spear. Cut each spear into 1-inch lengths, beginning at the tip. Drop the asparagus into the boiling water. Boil until tender but still crisp. Remove asparagus from the boiling water and place in a bowl of cold water. When cool, drain asparagus. Set aside.
Begin cooking pasta. In a frying pan heat the oil. Add asparagus, red peppers and sauté 1 minute. Add cream sauce base and bring to a boil. In small bowl, mix water and arrowroot and add to cream sauce base, stir. Add Parmesean, basil and red pepper flakes (if using); lower heat and simmer until thickened.
Pour pasta into a bowl. Stir in the sauce and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe by, former PCC staff