Pasta alla Matriciana
- 10 ounces thick lean bacon or pancetta, cut in 1/2-inch pieces Add to list
- 2 large cloves of garlic, or to taste Add to list
- 1 medium onion, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, or to taste Add to list
- 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 pound pasta, either spirals or penne Add to list
- Grated Romano cheese Add to list
In a medium saucepan, cook bacon or pancetta over medium heat until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, onion and red pepper flakes; cook about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook uncovered 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Bring a large pot of water to boil; add salt and pasta. Boil 8 to 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente. Drain pasta, add sauce and serve with Romano cheese.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor