Pan-seared Brussels Sprouts with Apples, Bacon, Shallots and Rosemary
Serves: 6 to 8
The glowing colors of crisp, red apples and cranberries set against the earthy green of the Brussels sprouts definitely will brighten up your table.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved Add to list
- 5 to 8 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into strips Add to list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil Add to list
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 tart red apple, cored and chopped Add to list
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary Add to list
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts Add to list
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries Add to list
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup Add to list
- 1 tablespoon white wine or apple cider vinegar Add to list
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste Add to list
Cook Brussels sprouts in boiling, salted water 3 to 4 minutes or until tender but still bright green. Refresh in cold water and drain.
In a heavy sauté pan, cook bacon until lightly crisped over medium heat. Remove from the pan. Pour off excess bacon fat.
Place the sauté pan back over medium heat and add olive oil. Stir in shallots, apples and rosemary and cook about 3 minutes, until shallots are pale gold. Stir in Brussels sprouts and toss to heat through. Add hazelnuts, cranberries and crisped bacon and cook for 1 minute. Stir in maple syrup and wine or vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on November 20, 2010.