Pain Perdu with Honey-Lemon Ricotta
A simple preparation transforms day-old bread into a decadent, mouthwatering dish. Sweet strawberries make it the perfect spring treat. If you’re short on time, pick up The Greek Gods Honey yogurt as a sub for the ricotta, and organic cut fruit, ready to go in the PCC Deli, as a replacement for the strawberries.
- 1 cup ricotta Add to list
- 1 tablespoon honey Add to list
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice Add to list
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest Add to list
- 4 eggs Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk Add to list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg Add to list
- Pinch of salt Add to list
- 8 (1-inch) slices day-old brioche, challah or French bread Add to list
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter Add to list
- 1 pint strawberries, rinsed, hulled and halved Add to list
Combine ricotta, honey, lemon juice and zest in a small bowl and mix until smooth and creamy; set aside.
Whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, nutmeg and salt; pour into a large, shallow pan. Soak bread in a single layer in the egg mixture, turning once. Let stand so that liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes per side.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 bread slices and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side; transfer to a warm platter. Repeat with remaining butter and bread. Drizzle with honey and serve with the honey-lemon ricotta and strawberries.
Each serving: 550 cal, 26g fat (14g sat), 270mg chol, 680mg sodium, 54g carb, 3g fiber, 24g protein
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »