Serves: 8 to 10
Prep time: 20 minutes
This salad combines the summer taste of tomatoes, peppers and basil in a lemony dressing with rice-shaped pasta.
- 1 tablespoon salt Add to list
- 1 pound orzo pasta Add to list
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice Add to list
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1/3 cup small capers, drained Add to list
- Salt and pepper to taste Add to list
- 4 large Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped Add to list
- 1 yellow pepper, diced Add to list
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts Add to list
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and quartered Add to list
- 3 green onions, finely sliced Add to list
- 15 basil leaves, thinly sliced, or 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley leaves Add to list
- 5 ounces feta cheese Add to list
- Zest of one lemon Add to list
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the salt and orzo. Bring back to a boil and cook 6 to 7 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
In a small bowl combine the lemon juice, olive oil, capers, salt and pepper; set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine orzo, tomatoes, yellow pepper, pine nuts, olives, green onions and basil (or parsley). Stir in the dressing, then crumble in the feta and add the lemon zest.
Optional: You may add 1 cup garbanzo beans for extra protein.
Source: Demonstrated at PCC's Healthy Living Fair in Edmonds, 2009.