Organic Maple-Almond-Raisin Granola
Yield: About 5 cups
Delightful with yogurt, mixed with diced pears or apples, or drizzled with a wee bit of maple syrup and served with a hot mug of your favorite organic tea.
- 4 cups organic regular or thick-rolled oats Add to list
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup organic raw almonds Add to list
- 1/3 teaspoon grated nutmeg Add to list
- 1 teaspoon organic cinnamon Add to list
- 1/3 teaspoon sea salt (optional) Add to list
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup organic maple syrup Add to list
- 2 to 4 tablespoons refined, high-oleic organic safflower or sunflower oil Add to list
- 1 teaspoon organic almond extract Add to list
- 1/2 cup organic Thompson raisins Add to list
Preheat oven to 325° F with oven rack in center position.
In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (reserve raisins). Blend maple syrup, oil and almond extract in small bowl, then pour mixture over dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly using hands or two rubber spatulas. (Hint: if using hands, wet them first.)
Spread the mixture thinly on 2 or 3 cookie sheets (lightly sprayed or wiped with oil, or use sheets of natural parchment paper, available at PCC). Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, stir well and return to oven for another 10 to 15 minutes until light, toasty brown — not overly toasted.
Transfer hot cereal back to the large bowl, immediately add the raisins and toss well so they absorb the heat of the cereal and plump nicely. Cool completely and store in closed jars or other containers.
Recipe by, former PCC Nutrition Education Manager
Source: Sound Consumer January 2003