Yield: About 5 cups
Delightful with yogurt, mixed with diced fruit, or drizzled with a wee bit of maple syrup and served with a hot mug of your favorite tea.
- 4 cups regular or thick-rolled oats Add to list
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup raw almonds Add to list
- 1/3 teaspoon grated nutmeg Add to list
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon Add to list
- 1/3 teaspoon sea salt (optional) Add to list
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup maple syrup Add to list
- 2 to 4 tablespoons safflower or sunflower oil Add to list
- 1 teaspoon almond extract Add to list
- 1/2 cup Thompson raisins Add to list
Preheat oven to 325° F with oven rack in the center position. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets, or line with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine oats, almonds, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Blend maple syrup, oil and almond extract in a small bowl, then pour mixture over dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly using hands or two rubber spatulas. (Hint: if using hands, wet them first.)
Spread the mixture thinly on baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, stir well and return to the oven for another 10 to 15 minutes until light, toasty brown — not overly toasted.
Transfer hot cereal back to the large bowl, immediately add raisins and toss well so they absorb the heat of the cereal and plump nicely. Cool completely and store in an air-tight container.
Each 1/2 cup serving: 250 cal, 9g fat (0.5g sat), 0mg chol, 0mg sodium, 37g carb, 4g fiber, 13g sugars, 7g protein¬
Recipe by, former PCC Nutrition Education Manager