Organic Asparagus Strata with Zesty Mediterranean Garnish
Serves: 6 to 8
First-of-spring asparagus gets all dressed up with minimal effort in this beautiful dish.
- 16 to 20 thin asparagus spears Add to list
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen country-style potatoes, thawed Add to list
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese Add to list
- 8 eggs Add to list
- 2 cups milk Add to list
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper Add to list
Zesty Mediterranean Garnish (optional)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 small shallot, peeled and thinly sliced Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 2 to 3 asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch lengths Add to list
- 1/2 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and cut into thin strips Add to list
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives Add to list
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, or more to taste Add to list
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Cut the tough ends off asparagus spears. Place potatoes in the bottom of a lightly buttered 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Top with grated cheese.
Place asparagus spears in a criss-cross pattern on top of cheese, pressing them down a bit. Combine eggs with milk, thyme, salt and pepper. Pour egg batter over asparagus.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden and puffy. Serve with the Mediterranean Garnish on the side.
For Mediterranean Garnish
Heat oil in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Cook shallots and garlic for 30 seconds. Add remaining ingredients and sauté until asparagus is bright green and crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
You may make this dish in individual oven-proof ramekins. Simply cut asparagus a little shorter, divide the ingredients up between the ramekins and top with egg batter.
Recipe by, PCC Chef